Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Megapodes of Sabah (Revisited)

It was exciting to be able to publish an article in the local or international journal. I was encourage by my ex-superior to write an article about the interesting bird which i first encounter in Bengkoka Peninsular, the Tabon Megapode (Scrubfowl), Megapodius cumingii.

Worldwide c. 22 species, 1 in Borneo. Robust, chicken-like terrestrial birds with strong legs and very large feet. Most incubate eggs using an extraneous source of heat such as thermal energy or rotting vegetation; many species build mound of vegetation. Males construct the mound in which the females lay large batches of eggs. The chicks receive no parental care and are totally independent upon hatching. - excerpt from A Field Guide to The Birds of Borneo by Susan Myers.

This bird is amazingly have a very strong feet that can built a very huge mounds. I myself surprised to see it with my own eyes. As far i work with birds i never seen a nest like this before. It was amazing!


I was a co-author for this journal together with my ex-superior, Mr. Rob Stuebing and ex-CEO of my present employer, Mr. Johari Ho. Our article was published in Sabah Society Journal, Vol. 30 (2013).

The article is about our encounter on the distribution of its nesting sites within the Bengkoka Peninsular, Pitas, Sabah. When i recall back our field trip searching for the nest is quite fun and what an adventure! We drove on a muddy road to get to the nesting sites and even ride on a boat on coastal lines because no road access to the sites. The most extreme is when the rain is heavy and we are on the boat in the sea. Shivering cold because of the wind in the boat. But, it is worth to do so when we found the super huge mound.

So, if you interested to read our article, please don't hesistate to contact me via my email add: rose.ragai@gmail.com.

Cheers!
Rose Ragai

No comments: