Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Do You Know Who I Am?


Way back in September 2009, i was involved in field research with Sabah Museum. On the last day, i was too excited to follow museum staff to see how they set up medium size mammals trap. Along the way, i keep chit chatting with George. He is looking after fish collections at the museum. While talking i notice the movements of greenish thing on the leaves of the small trees on my right side. To be honest i still can't stand snakes. This snake is small and short. It is about 30cm long. And i am scared of it.


So, George catch it with his bare hands. We get the snake and bring it to our friends Pat and Fred. We show the snake to both of them and they not sure what is the species.


When we leave back to our camp and prepare the specimen, they still can't confirm the species. I think i forgot to keep the update from them till today. I am not sure if they find out what species of snake is this. I am no good in snake identification so can't help much.

Till then.

5 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I missed this post before. It's a good one. I like to look at snakes, but maybe only in pictures. This is a very pretty snake, but I don't think I'd ever try to grab it. I see snakes sometimes on my nature trails, but only non-poisonous snakes.

langkau said...

Hi Rose,

I saw your beautiful snake but couldn't identify it. I would have identified it as The Weird Green Serpent, if I had my way. :))

So I transported your blog post to my friend, Neil Das who's a herpetologist, and he said it's probably a juvenile keelback, Macropisthodon rhodomelas. :-)

Bornean Rose said...

Ratty -- snakes is interesting and this one is really something but i still scared of snakes. ouch!

langkau -- I am not sure what species was this. I already ask Mr. Rob Stuebing too. He also not sure because it is quite difficult to confirm the species based on photos. Need to hold on to the specimen as well. Anyway, thanks for your help. I will keep update with my friend at Sabah Museum if they alreday figure out the species of this snake.

langkau said...

Rob Stuebing? hahaha...send my regards to him when you see him. We had a bbq and langkau session at my house last year. Am a good friend of his son, Will. Cheers!

p.s. - Species is always difficult to identify from photos. :-)

Wong Chun Xing said...

This does not look like a snake.
This looks like a legless lizard.

Try joining and uploading your photos in http://www.projectnoah.org, there are some experts there who can identify this.