Monday, August 23, 2010

Simply Pretty - Actias maenas

I was amazed by this beautiful creature early in the morning. Over excited! That is what i feel when i saw this moth on the wall of our house in the camp site. It was really really and totally amazed me. This was my first encounter of this species of moth. I tried to Google it and at first i didn't find any match images on the net. I keep on searching and finally i found a brief info about this species.
Actias maenas, also known as Actias leto, can be found from north-central India east to Malaysia and from there it ranges south to Borneo. The subspecies A. maenas diana can be found on Sumatra and Bali. Actias maenas is quite variable in coloration throughout its range. In addition, the females have much shorter tails and fewer markings, making them look like a different species. In the wild, larvae feed on the foliage of Averrhoa, Schima, Adinandra, Canarium, and Turpina but have been reared in captivity on many other species, including Cider Gum (Eucalyptus gunnii) and Cucumber Tree (Magnolia acuminata). This huge moth prefers lowland forests and is not easy to find. - Quote from God of Insects.
Interesting isn't it? God creates such a pretty creature on this earth. I still feel i am very luck this time cause i found this new species of moth. My first encounter. Feel happy and proud of it. (^___^).. Till then. 

3 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

Wow! This is a very beautiful moth. It is different than anything I have ever seen before. You really found something special.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

That is drop-dead gorgeous! We have some big and pretty moths, but nothing as spectacular as that. I am amazed!

[MarK LouiS BenedicT] said...

Is this a swallow tail? Amazing find Rose.. :P