Monday, November 8, 2010

My Flowery Friend - Liparis wrayi

Photo taken at Muaya Waterfall, Sipitang
It has been more than a week i didn't wrote here. Today i want to share a little bit about one of the Orchid that we found last year. This is the terrestrial orchid species. They grow on the ground. Actually before this i only known that orchid grows on trees and never on the ground. But when i joined one of scientific expedition with UMS last year, i learn a little bit about orchid from a botanist friend that working on orchids of Borneo.

She told me that orchid did grow on the ground and using soil as the substrate to growth. This is a new thing for me and i find it is interesting, though.

This one is a tiny orchid, only about 15cm height and the flower also tiny. But they are pretty as you can see in the photo above. The scientific name is Liparis wrayi. I tride to Google to get more info on this orchid but can't found any details info about it.

So, then i leave you guys till here. Have a good day and I Love Orchids.. (",)
 

1 comment:

Emma Springfield said...

I have been following your blog for a long time and I have watched you and your blog both go through many changes. Your pictures and descriptions are wonderful. The many things you have accomplished in nature astound me. And now this beautiful orchid... it is so delicate.
Your site is the Nature Site of the Week at Nature Center Magazine.