Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Learn Something......



On the way back from sending four villagers that we invited to exhibit their handicrafts during the carnivals, my friend and I saw one small creature on the gravel road. We stop by and I am curious of what is that thing. As we stop, I quickly get out from the car and get to that little thing. I can't see its head so I am not sure what was at first. I take a stone and try to squeeze it because from its bad condition I thought its dead with all flies eggs on its body. When I squeeze it suddenly it moves and I am surprised that it was still alive with that worse body condition. As its head appear I saw both of its eyes already full of maggots and I can say it is blind. I am very clear that this animal has faced a very horrific time with both hands and one leg injured badly. I wonder how it still can survive.



I decided to take it back home since it is still alive even though I am not sure if I can save it with the chronic stage like that. When we get back home, I ask my friend what I should do to this animal. I take it home with me and I make some sugar water and try to take out the flies eggs from its fur. It wants to sip the water from the straw and I feel a little bit relief because it still wants to drinks. Then I try to take out the maggots but, it was very difficult and I only can take out one of it. Then I put some medication on its wound on the leg and hands. Then I realize one hole on its left thighs and full of maggots too. How pity and horrible is this animal feels when it is still alive but its body starts to rotten because of those maggots. After put all the medications I put it back in the box and I went to sleep.



This morning when I woke up for work I look into the box and I feel so sorry because it's already dead. I can't save it but I am happy that at least I have done something to help it.



Actually it was a male Slow Loris and I named him HOPE. I am not sure what caused those injuries to him. By the way, if it was caused by snares trap that local people set up so this is my call to educate people something about wildlife.


4 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

The story was a little bit sad, but at least the animal had your help at the end of it's life. You probably helped it feel better so it could die peacefully.

PPS said...

Sad ending despite your best effort but at least it was in good hands...

Sharkbytes said...

Who knows- perhaps the creature realized that someone was trying to ease its pain. Things like this are always sad. I can accept death in the wild, but I don't like the lingering pain part that often goes with it. I'm adding your blog to the blogroll at myqualityday.blogspot.com. It's very much the kind of blog I find interesting.

Bornean Rose said...

Ratty--I do hope it died peacefully..mmm..i still feel sad when i think how bad his condition is. :(

PPS--I think so but i am not good in handling injured animals. hmmph..

Sharkbytes--Thanks for your nice comments. When i saw it on the road and suffering in pain i feel i have to help it. If it died because of it's nature call then i am alright but the conditons shows that it is because of human. So, i feel bad for that animal. Thanks for adding my blog to your blogroll. Have a nice weekend!