Friday, July 3, 2009

Bats

As I have promised, I will write about what I have seen and find during my trip. Let started from the night I arrived. After had our dinner, we have a rest and chit chat among us but my eyes keep on following something flying above our head. I am wondering what species of bats is it. It reminds me of the old days (not so old, just a year back) where I used to follow my friend capturing bats for our bats inventory. My interest is still there even though I am not good in bats identification.

So, I ask one of the guy to captured it. They told me just wait, it will enter their room and even my room. So, we wait.

In a few minutes, zap…hehe, it enters the room and I was in the room too. We close the door and windows. I use my long sleeve shirt to catch it and we success.

This is it. I didn't bring my field guide book so i can't identify it right away. From my previous experienced i thought it was Hipposideros sp. but i am not sure what species was it. It is the most common bats we found in Bintulu especially in one cave at Tubau. So, i thought it maybe the same species.

I only manage to took this close up photos and it doesn't help me on identification when i get back home. When i refer to my field guide book, there are two species of Hipposideros that look very similar. They are Hipposideros cervinus and Hipposideros bicolor . Dr. Don and Kris did teach me very clear the distinct difference between these two species but i forgot about it now.
The best thing to do is to get the forearm (FA) measurements but i didn't brought my ruler with me and for sure no measuring tape. This doesn't help me much too. So, i am not sure which species it was.
So, this is the first animal i find for my trip. Wait for tomorrow and i will share more of my discovery. I miss doing all kind of wildlife inventory and this time i just do what i can do by myself and with help from my friend here.
See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I sometimes think of bats as ugly, but this one is kind of cute close up. You took a good picture.

Bornean Rose said...

Actually i was thinking of the same before i involved in bats survey two years ago. I really don't like bats because of it's looks and smell.

But now, i think they are unique, interesting and lots of things we cab study about them.

In Borneo alone there are 96 species of bats and adding some more. Maybe there are still undiscover species. So, i can say i like bats now..:D