- Latin name for tiger is Panthera tigris. The word "panthera" is argued from oriental word means "yellow-white" and "tigris" derived from Greek word which means arrow, as the species can move swiftly even through the dense forest.
- Tiger stripes are individually as unique as human finger prints. There are no identical tigers!
- I you shaved tiger fur, you'll still find stripes in its skin.
- Tiger saliva acts as antiseptic that helps clean its wound.
- Unlike Lion, adult wild tiger is solitary territorial animal, marking their territory by urine and scratch marks on tree trunks.
- A male tiger territory never overlaps with other male's territory, thus tiger needs large unfragmented home range for them to survive.
- A female tiger usually roam around her mother' range.
- Unlike domestic cat, tiger loves water and a great swimmer.
- Adult tiger can eat up to 40kg of food at a time. After a big meal, it may not eat again for 1 or 2 weeks.
- Tiger is a highly adaptable hunter, their habitat varies from taiga in Russia, grassland in India, to tropical mangrove swamp in Southeast Asia.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
So many facts about tiger right. Let us have a break first. Here is Tiger Trivia also i extracted from WWF. Quite interesting info here.